Record: Utah 1-2 and Vegas 1-3 (lost play in round game)
Well the Sixers projected lineup for October looks to be healthy and that in itself is a win for the sixers this summer (boy was that a gut wrenching half hour for anyone who had to suffer being awake for the half hour between Fultz limp off and X-ray results). Well win/loss success isn’t necessarily indicative of a good summer circuit, I would rather see Sixers come out on top but the focus should be on the prospects and who will round out the 2027-2018 Roster.
- The Vegas Summer League is horrendous to watch, constant fouling gives the game no pace/flow prevent rhythm and just watching a worse product is less fun
- Markelle Fultz obviously was the name people found themselves most excited for but he was probably caused more heart ache then joy. His play was solid however and hoping to see how his skills work with Simmons and Embiid when healthy.
- Lonzo Ball is a special talent and was a nightmare for sixers to defend or halt his facilitating abilities. Really would have liked to see a different matchup instead of significantly shorter Blackmon, would have like to see Furkan, TLC or Isaiah Miles take on the challenge with their longer wingspan making the layups contorted around the rim just a little more difficult (or call Ben Simmons out of the stands).
- Positive: Furkan Korkmaz seemed to show little fear in the American style of play, while some of his shots seemed out of flow, overall positive feeling about his style translating and I am sure his efficiency while improve in time.
- Positive: I thought Alex Poythress had impressive play throughout and I believe should definitely contend for spot on the roster.
- Negative: TLC, while he wasn’t dragging the roster down, I was really hoping to see TLC takeover at points having an NBA season under his belt but it didn’t really happen. The sub 30 percent shooting from the field is disheartening for a guy you want to have come off the bench and provide outside shooting for the team this year.
With the summer circuits in the books, Sixers now look towards the fall and filling out bottom of roster from summer league. Players like Furkan and TLC easily have roster spots various other players earned the keep, Alex Pothytress did this for me and should see himself on the team. A player I may be in the minority on and wish we saw more of was Melo Trimble. While I may be falling for the good player from a well-known program fallacy, I would rather roll with someone like the upside of Melo compared to a McConnell/Bayless providing backcourt depth. A player like Jonah Bolden may be better suited heading back to Europe for another year, as rumors have been circulating regarding that. Unless they are able to deal Okafor they should be ok stashing someone away for now. While the best player for the Sixers throughout the summer was arguably Larry Drew II he in my mind is just nothing more than a D-League player and benefits being 27 in a league put up against some people who have been to a prom within the last 2 or 3 years.
So I leave with my hopeful projected Roster as of mid of July with some free agents left to shake out.
Guards: Fultz Reddick Luwawu-Cabarrot Korkmaz Stauskas Trimble
Forward: Simmons Covington Saric Poythress Holmes Johnson Splitter
Center: Embiid Okafor